Scroll down for Program and Details
Presented by the
Australian Environment Business Network (AEBN)
In association with
Proud Workshop Partners
Guthrie Legal AND V & C Environmental Consultants
How prepared are you to respond to a visit and investigation by the Environment and Safety Regulators?
This Workshop will identify and explore –
- Who are the Environment and Safety Regulators;
- How do these Regulators operate in different states;
- What are their powers in each jurisdiction including their powers of entry, search and seizure…;
- Understand your legal rights and obligations,
- How you should respond to the Regulators,
- and much more.
The Workshop will provide important information and practical tips for communicating with the Regulators to minimise risk to your organisation.
The Workshop will cover:
- Effective communication with the Regulator = minimises legal risk
- The current regulatory enforcement landscape:
- Who are the environmental and safety Regulators?
- Trends in enforcement activities
- Current areas of focus for EPAs
- Some recent case examples of poor communication which has lead to significant enforcement
- What to do when things go wrong –
- An overview of the powers of the Environmental Regulator
- Your organisations and Director’s obligations and Rights
- What you should do when things do go wrong
- The Environmental Investigation by the Regulator – Communicating with Regulators after an environmental incident or environmental non compliance
- The investigation process
- Your rights in the investigations
- Answering questions – what should you say and what you should not
- Attending interviews by the Regulator
- Producing documentation
- Dealing with the Safety Regulator and why it is important to understand the difference
- What to do when an Inspector calls
- Site preservation obligations
- Do’s and Don’ts
- What are your Rights?
- Offences against inspectors
- Separate representation
- Practical legal tips for effective Communication
- Legal privilege – what is it and how does it work?
- Voluntary environmental audits – benefits and perils
- Practical tips for maintaining privilege
- Case study on ‘Understanding your Regulators’
- Facilitator: Tina Khoury – CEO Australian Environment Business Network (AEBN)
- Gabrielle Guthrie – Principal, Guthrie Legal
- Vic Natoli – Director, V & C Environmental Consultants
- Louise Hicks – Barrister
A comprehensive set of course notes will be provided to all delegates as well as the opportunity to Network with presenters and delegates during AEBN’s Networking refreshment breaks (morning tea and lunch).